Aloterra Partnership for U.S. Grown & Manufactured Miscanthus Fiber ProductsWe are proud to announce our partnership with Aloterra to produce compostable food packaging made from miscanthus fiber, grown and harvested in the USA.
- Creates American Jobs
- Minimizes Carbon Emissions
- Reduces Production Lead Time
- Enables Excellent Quality Control
Aloterra’s Miscanthus farming operation occupies 4,000 acres of marginal land – not suitable to grow food crops like corn or soybeans - in Ohio and Pennsylvania. This project is unique as it supports both manufacturing jobs and farmers who are earning income on marginal land that would otherwise be lost to development or go idle. There are more than 30 million acres of marginal farmland in the Midwest.
“World Centric® and Aloterra are values-aligned. We are proud to domestically manufacture and sell certified compostable food packaging, sourced from U.S.-grown, environmentally beneficial plant fiber utilizing marginalized lands, while the same time creating jobs and providing income to farmers.”
- Scott Coye-Huhn, Founder and Chief Legal Officer, Aloterra
Miscanthus Giganteus is a large, perennial grass crop resembling bamboo, which is grown on non-food producing American farmland. Once planted, it produces a harvest each year for 15+ years, thereby providing an additional income stream for farmers.
- Non-invasive grass that thrives with minimal care & water
- Utilizes land unsuitable for food crops like corn or soybeans
- Potential to bring 30 million acres of marginal farmland into production
- Supports America’s farmers
Beginning in 2015, Aloterra will be manufacturing our 9” plate and a selection of clamshell containers at their flagship factory in Ohio.
To learn more about this collaboration and our plans for miscanthus fiber products, please refer to our press release.